We caught up with one of our Wishlist volunteers Sandy who dedicates her time to the Fabio the Frog project.
The Wishlist-funded program allows children to share their hospital experience through a fun and entertaining app and works as a feedback tool for our paediatric patients and parents.
The program started in 2016 and was the first of its type used in a public health service in Queensland. The program is now entirely run by Wishlist volunteers.
1. When did you join the Fabio the Frog team? January 2018.
2. Why did it appeal to you? I felt it would be very rewarding to be able to help sick children give feedback about their care while in hospital.
3. Do you have a memorable story or patient you have met along the way? This one sticks in my mind when I was asked to sit with a young patient & hold their newborn baby sister in the Children’s Ward while their mother went downstairs for a coffee and a break. She was gone for about 15 mins and when she came back she had bought her child a helium balloon to cheer him up.
4. What is your role? To conduct weekly visits to the wards to interact with children and families in order to gather information about their journey while in the hospital.
5. What is the best thing about volunteering for Wishlist? The friendships I have made at Wishlist with both the staff and other volunteers I have met and had a pleasure to work with.
Would you like to volunteer for Wishlist? Get involved today by clicking here.